Sunday, April 22, 2012

We Can All Make a Difference

Happy Earth Day!


 via 

We can all make a difference, it's pretty easy.  Just take a few minutes to think about the small ways you can change your day-to-day activities to help our planet.  I have started taking green bags to Target, Publix and the drugstore (if I forget, I ask for paper or tell them to pack as much as possible into one bag).  Lilly Pulitzer carries some adorable market bags. (With bags that cute, how can you not remember to use them!?)  The plastic bags that do end up coming home with me are re-used as trash bags in my bathroom, which saves both money and plastic bags.  

Another way to reduce your energy use is to get in the habit of turning your air up or off when you're not home.  This seems like a no-brainer, but a lot of people forget to do this.  I like sleeping with the air really low and I often turn my fan on too... but, I have gotten in the habit of turning my air up to 78 or higher and turning off my fan first thing in the morning.  This has greatly reduced my electricity bill and I feel like I am doing a small part to help the environment. 

Over the past few years, I have gotten super OCD about recycling.  I recycle everything possible... papers I no longer need at the end of the semester, cereal boxes, soda cans, the plastic containers that fruit comes in... pretty much anything cardboard, paper or plastic can be recycled!  Some cities are kinda picky about what they take and don't take, but if something has the little recycle logo on the bottom of it, then it usually counts!  Do us all a favor and think twice before you throw something in the trash!

Lastly, a great way to help the world around us is to go see the Disney Nature film, Chimpanzee.  If you go see it in theaters this week, Disney will donate to the Jane Goodall Institute in your honor.  This is a great way to unwind and take a break from the craziness of the end of the semester and you can feel great about taking a break for a good cause. 

Check out the trailer, it's so cute! 


What ways are you helping the environment?

2 comments:

  1. This is such a great post! We all need to pitch in to make the Earth a greener place. Thanks for the tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We JUST got curbside recycling here, so no more bags or sorting! Yay! It's SO easy to do now!!!

    I sooooo want to see that Movie!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by to leave a charming comment. It is much appreciated!