Sunday, May 8, 2011

Italia: Venice Weekend


Over the first weekend we went to Venice. So far I think it is my favorite place. The city does not have any cars. The streets are really narrow and the main mode of transportation is by boat. The city was super crowded and full of excitement because Pope Benedict was in town for the first time in many years. The city was buzzing!

The first night we walked around and ate dinner. The city is so pretty but does not have a lot of nightlife, so we took a boat over to the top of the Hilton to get a birds-eye view of the city. It was so much fun! After that we came back to the hotel to use the free wifi in the lobby.




The next day we slept in a little later than normal and then walked around and explored. In the afternoon we took a gondola ride, which is 20€ a person, but totally worth it! Our gondolier was Mario and he was really nice and informative. He told us a lot about the city and took us by where Marco Polo lived.




After our gondola ride we camped out for four hours to see the Pope who was visiting Venice for the weekend. It was freezing because we were in the shade and there was a lot of wind. But, in the end I was glad I waited and saw the Pope.

While everyone was waiting some people sang and danced in a circle...Steven, Tori, and I joined in!




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Venice, Italy

1 comment:

  1. Katherine! I am so glad you got to see the Pope! I am very jealous about the gondola ride. I need Europe, especially Southern Europe! Love and God's speed. Sara

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by to leave a charming comment. It is much appreciated!